When Emily was 18 months old we met Mrs. "Nanny" Maure. When we met her we were needing a wonderful home, someone loving that would take wonderful care of Emily while we were gone at work. We searched the Internet and without any idea as to where to go, her number just turned up. One of the reasons why I loved Nanny Maure was her history. She was a foster mom to over 20 kids and a mom to 6, 3 of which were adopted. When we met her we instantly knew that she was where Emily needed to go. Days turned into months and through lots of conversations with her, terrible stories of sadness were shared. These stories of her past with foster kids were of innocent children suffering from abuse and abandonment. They literally broke my heart and I couldn't help but be grateful for a family full of love. A family that I could call on for help.
Less than a year later while driving the thought entered my mind, "how about you become a foster mom". As soon as the thought entered, I instantly pushed it aside and reminded myself that although my heart might desire to help, the position of my resources and my time were in my opinion less than stellar. There was logically no way that I could ever even adopt a child let alone become a foster parent. Several more times I felt the impression on my heart and could hear the words "you can do it!" Each time though I quickly reminded myself how insane the idea was (Richard throwing me in the looney bend if I ever suggested it, insane). Days turned into weeks and I couldn't help but notice the change in my heart when I read stories of various acquaintances and their adoptions. I found myself to be envious of them and the joy they felt as they gave of their heart.
About six months later, we received a single phone call that changed our world. During that phone call we learned of a baby that came into this world in not the best of circumstances. My heart and spirit ached for him and for the life that he was now going to live. A life that he didn't deserve. Following that conversation, Richard and I both realized that simultaneously we were feeling the same thing. A feeling of loneliness, sadness, and pain. We spent the next few days stuck in a daze, barely functioning as our minds wandered in circles from confusion. Finally after buckling down and pleading with Heavenly Father for understanding, we prayed, fasted, and opened up our heart. The answer didn't come easy to me as personal doubt constantly filled my mind, but one impression kept coming back. An impression of loneliness and sadness that someone very special was missing from our home. Someone that I couldn't give birth to.
We attended our first CPS informational meeting about a week later, and we were both filled with peace. For the first time, we knew exactly what we were supposed to do. There was no question about it, we were supposed to adopt.
Since that phone call and our decision to move forward with adoption, we have experienced a mired of emotions. Everything from terror and fear to peace and excitement. When Emily was born, I got to feel the joy of being a mom. And now as we reflect on our future adoption and the possibility of fostering in the future, I feel an even stronger sense of joy and completeness (the kind that I can't even for a second describe).
I know in my heart that this is what I'm supposed to do and that Heavenly Father has been preparing me for this mission. I know without a doubt that this will be tough (I remind myself constantly that this won't be an easy-peasy cake walk), but I also feel strongly an impression that it will bring blessings beyond comprehension to our family! So although yes the future scares me beyond words, we look forward with indescribable love and excitement for the upcoming year. I don't know who or what the Lord has in store, but life is sure to be wonderful!
_____________________________________
So here are the facts:
- Agency Chosen: The Giocosa Foundation. Giocosa is an Italian word meaning "the place where happiness dwells."
- Adoption/Foster Requirements: A total of 32 hours worth of training. Training will include: 15 hours of class "PRIDE" training; CPR and first aid training; restraint training; medication training; medical designee training; infant/toddler training; SIDS and shaken baby syndrome training; and discipline/supervision training.
- Classes Started: Monday, September 10th
- Classes Will End: Monday, November 5th
- Estimated Paperwork Completion Date: January 2013
- Initial Age Range Seeking: Somewhere between the ages of 0-8 years old.
1 comment:
Congrats! Enjoyed your story and specifically how you listened to the spirit in planning for your family. What an incredible journey.
Post a Comment